CALL TO THEATRICAL ARTISTS
Posted On: May 9, 2023
The Gallery Committee of the Alabama Center for the Arts (ACA) is excited to call theatrical artists from ACA (including faculty, staff, students, and alumni) as well as the community theatre groups in Decatur for a juried exhibition in our Main Gallery featuring The Art of Decatur Theatre.
Artists may submit up to three works of art in JPG form along with the entry form for consideration by our jurors. No more than three works per artist will be selected. Works selected for the exhibition will be displayed in the main gallery of the Alabama Center for the Arts in historic Downtown Decatur.
We would like to accept the following types of art (artists are limited to 3 submissions each):
- Handmade props
- Costumes (ACA has a limited number of dress forms and/or mannequins. If a costume piece is submitted and accepted, a form on which it can be displayed is appreciated.)
- Smaller handmade set pieces
- Sound design submissions (made up of only original creations)
- Video clips of performances. Time lapse or video progressions of costume or set creations.
- NOTE @ video clips: We have a limited number of monitors and accepted clips and sound design submissions may be featured in a running loop featuring more than one artist’s clip.
- Framed High Resolution Production Photos of lighting and set designs (minimum size 11×14 – maximum size 18×24)
The timeline is as follows:
- Submissions accepted April 3 through May 22, 2023
- Jury dates: May 30-June 6
- Artist notification by email: June 7-9
- Deliver accepted pieces to ACA: July 10-17 (if you need to deliver earlier, contact us to make an appointment)
- Show installation: July 18-20
- Opens – July 21
- Reception – TBD
- Closes – September 22
- Pick-up art: September 25-29, 2023
*ACA has very limited storage. It is imperative that you pick up your art during the designated times.
Everyone who is eligible is encouraged to participate in this Call to Theatrical Artists.
Contact Jennifer.Bunnell@athens.edu (256-260-4299) or Kimberly.Parker@calhoun.edu (256-306-2701) with any questions.